Friday, May 11, 2007

What's REALLY Screwing Up Usability

After a considerable period of experience, I have come to the conclusion that most websites suck more because of lousy navigation than from bad controls placement, poor color choices, small text sizes, or anything else related to layout. I've found that users will forgive and use almost any interface mistakes, if only they can find what they're looking for. Poor navigation has left more users looking as confused as goats on Astroturf than any other single cause.

Now, it should be noted that this general rule applies more obviously to information-storage sites, not so much to interactive sites. But even if the emphasis is on interactivity, knowing where to go next in a sequence of steps is only a variant on where to go next to find materials.

It's for this reason that I wish HCI programs put more emphasis on information architecture. Many HCI'ers, even those with grad degrees, can't do card sorts or affinity exercises, nor perform cluster analysis. They have no clue about taxonomies, ontologies, or thesauri. I'm finding that the ability to organize whole site logically is both science and fine art, and deserves more class time than it's getting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What can I say. I agree whole-heartedly.
There is indeed an art to navigation and it all boils down to 2 things for me, relevance and consistency.
I really don't care what colour you make stuff so long as it doesn't burn my retinas!
Nice post and to the point.