Sunday, November 11, 2007

Why a Messy Room is a Good Thing

I saw a comic the other morning that featured a young man and a thoroughly trashed room, with items strewn all over the place. In doubtless a whiny voice, the youngster pleaded "but when I put things away, I can't find anything". Parents will smile smugly in silent rebuttal, but an HCI'er and part-time economics junkie like me can't help but wonder if those legions of room-messers don't have a point. When we humans do things frequently and in large numbers, there's usually something to it.

Advocates for clean rooms (like rabid inspecting drill sergeants) like to say that everything has its place, and that's where it should be. But is that really true? After you reach a certain threshold of object ownership, is there a single place for everything? Children mostly keep toys in a box, where toys on top obscure the ones underneath. Folded clothing suffers the same fate in a drawer, where you have to pull out the stuff on top to get to the items below.

In effect, it seems to me that a messy room is actually a form of shallow navigation where little is hidden badly enough to be overlooked. The same pertains to a cluttered desk. I often keep a wide, low pile of file folders, papers, notes, books, and pads on half my desk. A neat freak might object that I could just as easily keep all that in their respective drawers and bookcases, but I'm convinced (without much evidence, I have to add) that doing so is less efficient. I can riffle through the pile faster than I can flip through file folders in a file drawer, even in alphabetical order. The pile is for things I'm using frequently at the moment, and overcomes the problem of filing materials under the wrong headings. Our users tend to like shallow navigation, and I'm convinced that I do, too.

No comments: